I don't quite know how it happened, but somewhere along the way I became a book nerd. It's a good thing that I did. It challenges me. It forces me to think. In a way, it saved my faith. I thought I'd take a few moments this week to share a few books that rocked my world (in a good way). In my opinion, if you haven't read them, you should.
1) Brian McLaren's "A New Kind of Christian" Trilogy. "A New Kind of Christian", "The Story We Find Ourselves In", and "The Last Word And The Word After That" These books challenged my thinking on what it means to follow Jesus and helped me understand some of my own discomfort with how it has been practiced in the modern era. The fiction format makes for engaging reading on deep subjects.
2. Brian McLaren's "A Generous Orthodoxy" Believe it or not, this book helped me to learn to love and appreciate my own faith tradition all over again.
3. ANYTHING by N.T. Wright (aka Tom Wright), but particularly "Following Jesus". I actually read this quite recently, but it is an excellent, easy to read intro into Wright's thought. Wright will really challenge you and redefine for you what it means to follow Jesus. He may also change your perspective on where the whole project is going.
4. Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" Read Miller's book and you will feel like you have made a new friend. He doesn't present himself as an expert. He's just a guy sort of thinking out loud. This is one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. You will cry, laugh, and be stunned by his depth and poiniancy, sometimes all within seconds of each other.
5. Dallas Willard's "The Divine Conspiracy" This book is deep. I would not pretend that it is either an easy or a quick read, but it is deeply rewarding.
There are other works that I have enjoyed and feel have helped me. There are other books that I would hand people in response to specific questions or subjects. However, these 5 selections I would recommend without hesitation to anyone who seeks a deeper faith and new lenses through which to view their Father's world.